Health - Drugs - Fluoroquinolone
WARNING - U.S. Food & Drug Administration Report on Bioterrorism Fluoroquinolone Drugs which are now commonly prescribed by doctors or used in hospitals by doctors throughout the United States.
PBS News Hour Report: June 16, 2011 (Video & Transcript)
"A class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones is raising concerns after some patients report becoming very ill after taking them."
Health correspondent Betty Ann Bowser reports.
46_Certain_Quinolone_Antibiotics_Spur_Widening_Reports_of_Severe Side Effects June 16, 2011 PBS News Hour Transcript & Video.pdf
NOTE: Multiple Side-Effects may show up days, weeks or months after taking this drug. If not treated or treated improperly side-effects may become permanent.
U.S. FDA LISTING OF FLUOROQUINOLONE DRUGS, BRAND NAMES & MANUFACTURERS:
U.S. FDA REPORT ON THE SIDE-EFFECTS OF LEVAQUIN (FLUOROQUINOLNE)
ROUTINELY PRESCRIBED BY DOCTORS/HOSPITALS FOR THESE COMMON MEDICAL CONDITIONS WHEN OTHER LESS TOXIC DRUGS COULD BE USED:
“…WARNING: Fluoroquinolones, including LEVAQUIN®, are associated with an increased risk of tendinitis and tendon rupture in all ages. This risk is further increased in older patients usually over 60 years of age, in patients taking corticosteroid drugs, and in patients with kidney, heart or lung transplants…”
“…LEVAQUIN® is a fluoroquinolone antibacterial indicated in adults (18 years of age) with infections caused by designated, susceptible bacteria.
- Pneumonia: nosocomial and community acquired
- Acute bacterial sinusitis
- Acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis
- Skin and skin structure infections: complicated and uncomplicated
- Chronic bacterial prostatitis
- Urinary tract infections: complicated and uncomplicated
- Acute pyelonephritis
- Inhalational anthrax, post-exposure. Not tested in humans for post-exposure prevention of inhalational anthrax; plasma concentrations are likely to predict efficacy…”
U.S. FDA Report on CIPRO (FLUOROQUINOLNE) Bioterrorism Drug