GeoEngineering Current Actions
Welcome to the Geoengineering (Climate Remediation) Current Events Section of the ADC Website.
New Mexico Geoengineering Alert - For more information visit New Mexico Skywatch: http://www.agriculturedefensecoalition.org/content/geoengineering-new-mexico
The United States House of Representatives Science & Technology Committee has agreed to work with the UK Parliament on Geoengineering Issues starting in 2009. These formal agreements, UK Parliament hearings, U.S. House Committee Hearings in 2009-2010, final reports and other information are located in this section. (Under the current definition of Geoengineering or Climate Remediation Schemes (Solar Radiation Management): These schemes are only designed to "MASK" any warming trends.)
A second Geoengineering Section has additional information on the types and scope of geoengineering schemes, historical information, weather modification programs, water vapor and aviation, agriculture impacts, and other information. If you click here and you will be automatically transferred to the Geoengineering (Climate Remediation) Schemes Section.
Geoengineering Articles & General Information (Climate Remediation=Geoengineering)
Global Geoengineering Governance: Currently the U.S. Government, our military, NASA, NOAA (other U.S. agencies), any city, county, state, private indivduals, corporations, foreign governments, and foreign corporations, can initiate any type of geoengineering experiments without public knowledge, consent, government restrictions or public debate.
Radio Liberty October 23, 2011 Seminar - Aptos, CA
"Geoengineering: Destroying the Atmosphere" Presentation by Rosalind Peterson
with a Special Presentation by Allan Buckmann
(Both Powerpoint Presentations are Located Below the Video)
(Radio Liberty (1-800) 544-8927 to Order Copies)
The following Power Point Presentation was Produced by Rosalind Peterson & Todd Blackmon for the above presentation on Geoengineering the Atmosphere - October 23, 2011:
Allan Buckman's Power Point Presentation which was presented at the Geoengineering Seminar on October 23, 2011 is located below titled: Man-Made Climate Change in the Skies 2011.
The Royal Society has been working on Geoengineering & Geoengineering Governance Rules & Regulations for many years. The Royal Society Geoengineering Working Group is almost entirely made up of those that want to conduct research and implement many different types of Geoengineering Experiments.
Geoengineering (or the new term, Climate Remediation officially coined on October 4, 2011, by the Bipartisan Policy Center which is a private congressional lobbying group), also has under its umbrella genetically modified trees, plants, seeds, crops, etc. The intention is to drive a carbon tax which will fund many private corporations who will engage in a myriad of geoengineering schemes and make huge sums of money under government and other contracts or to fund under a U.S. government budget in 2012.
Since research, scientific knowledge experiments, and military actions are not covered under most international treaties and conventions...it opens the door for these experiments to be used around the world. Solar Radiation Management is one such experiment that will only "mask" temperature or global warming...this is not a fix. Once started it cannot be stopped as the warming it "masks" will then show up immediately and fast. The water vapor, sulfur or aluminum oxides gases, used to make small particles in the atmosphere will need to be used continously...as the particles will fall back to Earth on a constant basis...polluting air, water, soils, causing acid rain and other problems.
In the audio below, from an AAAS Meeting in February 2010 (San Diego, CA), on a 2009 Royal Society Report on Geoengineering, are the following speakers:
1) Legal Issues & Treaties: Professor of International Law - Catherine Redgwell, University College, London UK and Member of the Royal Society Geoengineering Working Group in 2009. (Catherine Redgwell, General Editor International and Comparative Law Quarterly (2010) - British International Institute of Comparative Law, 19 Russell Square, London WC1B 5JP) (202(20 (Listen to Redgwell Audio Here (download).
2) Professor Ken Caldeira, Member of the Royal Society Geoengineering Group(2009) In 2010-2011, a Member of the Bipartisan Policy Center Working Group on Geoengineering (Climate Remediation). (Ken Caldeira, Department of Global Ecology, Carnegie Institution of Washington-Stanford, CA in 2011.)
3) Professor David Keith, Canada Research Chair in Energy and the Environment, Director ISEEE - Energy and Environmental Systems Group, University of Calgary, Canada. Member of the Royal Society Geoenginering Group (2009). In 2010-2011, a Member of the Pipartisan Policy Center Working Group on Geoengineering (Climate Remediation). Listen to David Keith Audio Here (download).
The UK Parliament and the U.S. House of Representatives Science & Technology Committee Final Reports and Joint Cooperating Agreements are Located in This Section
Please note that the testimony in both UK and U.S. hearings was highly limited with testimony mostly from those promoting Geoengineering and Climate Remediation Schemes. Almost the same cast of individuals testifed during all of these hearings. In most cases few were asked to testify that would oppose or questions these geoengineering schemes.
In addition, testimony was not requested from marine biologists, agriculture, foresty, EPA (with regard to toxic chemicals being used - Water, Soil & Air Pollution) NASA, NOAA, solar power producers, and a whole host of scientists in other fields. Thus, a full and complete discussion of the impacts was denied to those holding the hearings and the public. The potential for these geoeingeering schemes to have synergistic and cumulative effects is staggering.
The U.S. House of Representatives Science & Technology Committee General Information, Committee Members, and other contact information located below.
U.S. House Science & Technology Committee Member Listing - Click on Link Below:
For more Information on the U.S. House Science & Technology Committee:
Geoengineering & NanoTechology Smart Dust Sensors
Take Action Today
Solar Radiation Management
What Happens When We Artifically Reduce the Amount of Direct Sunlight Reaching the Earth? Photosynthesis Poster
The U.S. House of Representatives Science & Technology Committee has Held 3 Geoengineering Hearings. One in 2009, and two in 2010. They Issued a Final Report in 2010. You will find this report and information about those hearings below:
The UK Parliament also Held Hearings on Geoengineering in 2009, and 2010. You will find information on these hearings, testimony, and their 2010 5th Report on Geoengineering below:
U.S. GAO & CRS Reports (Includes Stanford Study)
California EPA Listing of Chemicals Known to Cause Cancer or Reproductive Toxicity
Global Dimming is Happening Around the World due to a Wide Variety of Factors. Some of the dimmng comes from Aviation Impacts According to NASA and other university studies (See the 116J Section Below). You can also find out more about this issue by going to the Sunlight Section of this Website:
Health & Related Issues
It should be noted that Global Dimming and the reduction of Direct Sunlight Reaching the Earth has serious health consequences for all of us. We invite you to visit the Vitamin D Section of this website to find out the consequences of our actions in reducing the amount of direct sunlight reaching the Earth.
In addition, please note the myriad of ongoing and proposed Geoengineering schemes listed under "Solar Radiation Management". Most planned schemes will reduce the amount of direct sunlight from reaching the Earth. The consequences are enormous for human health, tree and plant health (lack of photosynthesis), oceans, weather, climate, solar power production, and crop production.
Soil, Air & Water Pollution are direct impacts that will be felt for years...along with acid rain from atmospheric releases of salts, sulfur, aluminum, gases and particulates. The ADC has tried to place as much information below as possible in order to spur public debate.
Miscellaneous Articles & Studies
Aircraft & Jet Emissions & Contrails (also Rockets), Change the Climate + Pollution Problems.
Water Vapor is a Greenhouse Gas - It should be noted that the influence of aviation has been largely ignored in the United States. Also Geoengineering proponents do not want to discuss the man-made clouds produced by aviation and rocket sources. They clearly do not want you to know that water vapor is a greenhouse gas that is produced by aviation sources or that it is having a negative impact on our environment.
The most massive "Solar Radiation Management" Geoengineering Scheme has been underway in the United States and around the world since the late 1980s. Photographs have documented the early days when deep blue sky days were common through today when Blue Skies are rare.
NASA research studies show that increasingly persistent jet contrails may turn into “man-made clouds” (or white haze), and are “…trapping warmth in the atmosphere and exacerbating global warming…Any change in global cloud cover may contribute to long-term changes in the Earth’s climate…” No current U.S. legislation addresses water vapor and aviation impacts on the global atmosphere.
Our scientists and government agencies do not appear to be working toward reducing or eliminating this tremendous aviation problem. Instead Geoengineering promoters are working toward reducing more direct sunlight from reaching the Earth.
If you "LOOK UP" you can observe what Solar Radiation Management looks like on an almost daily basis in many areas of the United States and in other countries. The photograph below provides a visual of what one ongoing Solar Radiation Management Experiments look like. What has happened to our deep blue skies? Who has the right to reduce the amount of direct sunlight reaching the Earth - no one!
25P 2011 Photograph of Man-Made Skies Las Vegas Nevada April 11, 2011 7 30 A.M.
Aviation Impacts - U.S. Elected Officals are ignoring this subject.
Studies & Research
The Royal Society - Global Geoengineering Governance
U.S. House of Representatives Science & Technology Committee Testimony & Transcripts
United Nations - Geoengineering
Edward Teller - Lawrence Livermore National Laboratry - Early Geoengineering History
United States Policy Positions & Plans
ETC Group - Canada
NASA JPL Presentation on Geoengineering & Climate Change February 14, 2013
Video Lecture Series California Institute of Technology - What type of thinking is going on now with regard to Geoengineering?
Many Questions - Water Vapor (a potent greenhouse gas), and aviation questions are not raised in this presentation...Why?
China - Gates Foundation - New NSF Funded Group Penn State - Governance Questions - Methods & Problems with Geoengineering
April 8, 2009 - Associated Press Interview With President Obama's Science Advisor, John Holdren Video Clip
John Holdren is interviewed about his views on Geoengineering.
We have to keep this option on the table. We don't understand the system well enough to engineer it. The side-effects are unknown and may be worse than the original problem...and he admits doesn't solve the whole problem. Solar Radiation Management is discussed. (Interesting short clip of AP Interview.) We don't know enough about the atmospheric heat transfer system to predict responses.
He says that if we get desperate enough, we may have to use it. (Associated with Woods Hole Research Center)
Book he Co-Authored: 1997
Ecoscience, Population, Resources, Environment and Human Ecology, Problems and Solutions
Democracy Now Video: April 20, 2010
Guest: Pat Mooney, executive director of the ETC Group, a Canadian-based organization that addresses the impact of new technologies on vulnerable communities. He is the author of several books on the politics of biotechnology and biodiversity. In 1985, he received the Right Livelihood Award in the Swedish Parliament. Supporters of geoengineering have proposed radical ways to alter the planet to decrease the level of greenhouse gas emissions.
Pat Mooney on the Dangers of Geoengineering and Manipulating the Planet to Combat Climate Change - Proposals include creating artificial volcanoes to pollute the atmosphere with sulfur particles, fertilizing the oceans and placing sun-deflecting aluminum foil in the sky. But opposition is growing to geoengineering. Here at the World Peoples’ Summit on Climate Change in Bolivia, the ETC Group is launching an international campaign against geoengineering experiments. We speak with the group’s founder, Pat Mooney, a Right Livelihood Award winner.
DEMOCRACY NOW VIDEO - Juy 8, 2010
Geoengineering: Vandana Shiva
Supporters of geoengineering have proposed radical ways to alter the planet to decrease the level of greenhouse gas emissions. Proposals include creating artificial volcanoes to pollute the atmosphere with sulfur particles, fertilizing the oceans and placing sun-deflecting aluminum foil in the sky. But opposition is growing to geoengineering.
January 13, 2010 - Geoengineering Witnesses - HOC Science and Technology Committee - UK Parliament
Thatcher Room-Meeting started on Wednesday 13 January at 9:31 A.M. ended at 11:28 A.M.
1) Dr Jason J Blackstock, Centre for International Governance Innovation, Canada
2) Dr David Keith, Director, ISEEE Energy and Environmental Systems Group
3) John Virgoe, expert in geoengineering governance
AAAS Meeting-San Diego, CA
Geoengineering Interview February 26, 2010
Ken Caldiera & Martin Bunzl
BBC Audio Tape
Intentionally Managing Our Climate - Mitigation through Climate Remediation or Geoengineering
Recommendation of this Committee is that the United States should start doing Geoengineering Research
Admitted that other countries are already doing research and conducting experiments - Russia, India, Germany, England
They want U.S. to take the lead and initiate a public policy to sell Geoengineering to public. Controversial
Issue with Climate Fears Driving these Schemes Climate Remediation = Geoengineering (They did not want to label as Geoengineering - Terminology Disagreement)
1) Set up National Research Centers
2) International - Work with other nations on this type of research and agreements = Global Geoengineering Governance
International Treaty - Not practical
Other Countries will advance geoengineering
Create International Norms
U.S. Approach to Research Sets Example for other countries - Collaborate International Research - All countries accept and abide by these "norm" recommendations - not at the level of diplomats but scientists. (Skip Diplomatic Channels)
- Ambassador: The U.S. State Department must be involved in these issues - divergent positions - financial and economic interests among small groups of countries - they want to avoid many countries being engaged on this subject for fear of rejection of policies
- White House Office of Science & Technology Involvement - U.S. Research Enterprise among many government agencies-coordinated and focused. Advisory Committee: Public Engagement - Ethical Problems - Experimentation types - Funding - Discussion develops along what types of research will be allowed.
- Global Geoengineering Governance - Climate Remediation - Risky Research - Ignorance is biggest obstacle with public disapproval. Consensus needed - Society learns how to make decisions based on their research and what they want us to know?
- Research + Technologies = If we understood the technology then the public would approve? Integrate their beliefs into social systems so that the public won't object - full-integration needed to sell geoengineering.
- Domestic Research-International Research - Global Geoengineering Governance - Small & Large Research in Radiation Reduction = solar radiation management - U.S. Setting an example for other countries. Need cooperation of other countries for large scale experiments. Mt. Pinatubo Sulfur in atmosphere was not studied to find out if it reduced Earth temperatures. Need permission from a number of other countries...we need to test and find out if bad idea and invite other nations to participate.
- Solar Radiation Management Risks vs Atmospheric Carbon Removal (CDR) problems - risky? Many questions other schemes. Air Capture
- Cumulative and Synergistic impacts of various schemes unknown - chemical, mechanical, and other methods.
- Private Sector unregulated current work - low risk research? How do we know the risk is low? What don't we know about?
- Government program should be involved as it would lower risks?
- NSF is working on SRM ethical issues - recommendations - OMB Questions - Social Science Research + Integrated Research
- Coordination Problems: High Level & Funding Research - Coordination
- Push-Back Problems: Who is objecting - Reducing Ignorance - Not a good answer...hoping for acclamation-interesting. They think that there will not be outright opposition...Greenpeace against years ago - not concerned about opposition. If we don't others will do it...however, without our support it wouldn't happen on a worldwide basis? Scare Tactics to get U.S. involved.
- How do they get this on the agenda for Congress or others to fund?
- Rationale: Other countries will deploy-thus, we need to be active...Scare Tactics
- Adaptive Risk Management Approach - Risk of Climate Change vs Risky Solar Radiation Management - Slippery Slope that SRM is more risky than climate change...intentional risky schemes adding to alleged climate change risks. We need safe and effective scheme to fix climate change...many are already or known to be risky...regional impacts from schemes - climate regime that could lead to something like weather warfare...we know little of risks of schemes or the real downsides. Risks could be far greater than we now face.
- Climate Science Research - International Endeavor - They want politics out and just scientific collaboration so that the public is pushed out of these policies for the most part?
- Friends of the Earth Question: SRM pushed back in UK due to public opposition - SPICE project delayed - Public Engagement wrong way to engage public. Public relations problem-thus, cancelled. She brings up "chemtrails". Needs structured deliberate coordination to give the public the "right" information so that they won't oppose Geoengineering programs. They don't like international meetings on this subject-because most countries don't approve. No experiments that have been impacts on biodiversity that has impacts should be conducted... Friends of the Earth working with Royal Society on Global Geoengineering Governance. Interesting...
Risky Research - Oversight System Needed - Public Engagement - Transparency Appropriate to Research Already Conducted and Limited Public Debate on Details - International Coordination - Adaptive Management - Won't be able to Predict Outcomes of Research - Social Recommendations - Criteria - Field Research Approval - International Norms
Bipartisan Policy Center Report - Task Force On Climate Remediation Research - October 4, 2011 Video + Report Released "Geoengineering: A National Strategic Plan for Research on the Potential Effectiveness, Feasibility, and Consequences of Climate Remediation Technologies"
Geo-engineer: 'We're using air as a waste dump for CO2'
BBC News - November 14, 2011
Few branches of science divide opinion as sharply as that championed by Professor David Keith.
He is one of the pre-eminent geo-engineers striving to find new ways to combat global warming, by altering the way the sea, the clouds and the atmosphere work. This isn't a replacement, he says, for the political drive to reduce emissions. Tim Franks spoke to him about whether geo-engineering is a cost-effective, emergency stop-gap, before the effects of climate change become irreversible - or a dangerous leap into the unknown? (You can watch the full interview on BBC World News on Monday 14 November at 0430, 0930, 1530 and 2130 GMT and on BBC News Channel on Monday, 14th November 2011 at 0430 GMT and on Tuesday, 15th November 2011 at 0030 GMT.)
Click on the poster to see it in full size.
Attenborough on Global Warming & Geoengineering
11 December 2011 Last updated at 06:39
Naturalist Sir David Attenborough says people living in the Arctic have "no doubts" that climate change is happening. Speaking to the Andrew Marr Show about his new series Frozen Planet the veteran wildlife filmmaker says that part of the problem of global warming is the increasing world population saying "There are three times as many people on Earth than when I started making television programmes."
Uploaded to YouTube by the Environmental Defense fund on Oct 6, 2011 in English with Chinese Captions. The video describes the Solar Radiation Management Governance Initiative and why it is important to create a global conversation about governing research into solar radiation techniques.
Link to SRMGI (Solar Radiation Management Governance Initiative) Website: http://www.srmgi.org/report/
SRMGI Report December 1, 2011: http://www.srmgi.org/files/2012/01/DES2391_SRMGI-report_web_11112.pdf
SRMGI Report Supplement December 1, 2011:
NOAA Climate Watch Magazine May 12, 2011
Video + Transcript & Power Point Presentation
Speakers: Michael MacCracken
Chief, Climate Monitoring Branch
NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center
Ethics and Issues Surrounding Geo-engineering to Mitigate Climate Change
"...Michael MacCracken has been chief scientist for climate change programs with the Climate Institute in Washington, D.C., since October 2002. His current research interests include human-induced climate change and consequent impacts, the potential for climate engineering and the beneficial effects of limiting emissions of non-CO2 greenhouse gases. From 1968 to 1993, he led climate modeling studies at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California that were designed to evaluate the effects on climate of greenhouse gas emissions, volcanic aerosols and nuclear war. From 1993 to 2002 he served as senior global change scientist for the interagency Office of the U.S. Global Change Research Program, where he served as the first executive director and then as executive director of the coordination office for the U.S. National Assessment of the Potential Consequences of Climate Change. During this time he also coordinated preparation of the official U.S. Government reviews of the periodic assessments of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
Since 2002, he has served as an integration team member for the Arctic Climate Impact Assessment, president of the International Association of Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences and co-lead author of the report Confronting Climate Change: Avoiding the Unmanageable and Managing the Unavoidable, prepared for the United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development. He was most recently chair of the Scientific Organizing Committee for the International Conference on Climate Intervention Technologies: Minimizing the Potential Risk of Research to Counter-balance Climate Change and Its Impacts. MacCracken has an undergraduate degree in engineering from Princeton University and a PhD in applied science from the University of California, Davis..."